Surgical day care
More and more treatments are able to be performed as a day case procedure, allowing children to return home as quickly as possible.
A new five-bed surgical day care unit opened at the Children’s Hospital in 2014. This unit is able to treat children from birth to 18 years of age for a range of conditions including hernias, ear, nose and throat (ENT), dental, and other general medical and surgical procedures.
Your appointment letter will give you the date and approximate time of your child’s procedure. Please contact us as soon as possible if your child is unwell or unlikely to be able to attend.
How should I prepare my child for the procedure?
Your specialist will be able to advise you about this, however:
- Please arrive in plenty of time for your child’s appointment
- Your child should have a bath or shower in the morning and take any prescribed medicines unless advised otherwise
- Please do not allow your child to wear any makeup or jewellery, and leave any valuables at home
- You will be able to stay with your child until they have had their anaesthetic
- You can bring electronic devices for your child to play with, and mobile phones which can be used in designated areas of the hospital
If the procedure is in the morning:
- Please make sure they have nothing to eat or drink from midnight before they attend
- They may drink water before 6.30am but nothing after then unless advised by the hospital
- Please do not give your children any other types of drinks, such as orange juice or milk
If the procedure is in the afternoon:
- Your child may have a light breakfast, such as tea and toast (but not cereal) before 7.30am
- Please do not let them eat anything after 7.30am
- They may drink water up until 10.00am but nothing after that unless advised by the staff
- Please do not let them have orange juice or milk
What should I bring?
Please bring your appointment letter along with:
- Any medications your child is taking (including inhalers)
- A list of any allergies
- Spectacles/hearing aids (if applicable)
- Favourite toy
- Dressing gown/slippers/nightdress or pyjamas
- Dress your child in loose fitting clothes
- Books, magazines, games, DVDs and electronic devices (mobile phones can be used on most wards)
- We have free WiFi available so please feel free to bring in your laptop/iPad